Have your school age children (ages 5-11) gotten their first COVID-19 vaccination yet?
If not, you can still schedule an appointment at our Castro Street office tomorrow, Friday Nov 19th, or Saturday November 20th. We will confirm the second dose appointment, after the first dose is given, but before you leave the office.
If your child has already received their first dose either with us, or elsewhere, we can arrange the second dose, 3-4 weeks later: simply send a request through MyChart.
We apologize, if you’ve had difficulty scheduling an appointment for one of our vaccine clinics. The MyChart administrator initially failed to list Pacific Pediatrics as an available site and then listed us with a confusing name (Covid Vaccine Peds).
But we are finally listed, for self-scheduling, as Pacific Pediatrics. We have clinics available into December, but self-scheduling may only be available for dose #1.
Please send us a MyChart message, if you’d like to arrange a second dose for your children.
Besides our COVID-19 immunization-only clinics, we also give this vaccine during regular office hours. You may call, or send a MyChart message to arrange a shots-only visit, or it may be given during a Check-up visit with other scheduled vaccines.
Children receive a much lower dose than adults and develop stronger immunity, but do not experience discomfort as frequently as older people do.
So far, we have encountered very few children with fever, fatigue, or other side effects.
Children with mild illnesses, such as colds, do not have to delay the dose.
Some of our patients, as young as 7 months have participated in the vaccine trials and we expect those results to be announced in December or January.
If the vaccine is recommended for pre-schoolers, toddlers, and infants, we will offer it in our office as well.
Though we have made progress, the pandemic is far from over and our children are still vulnerable.
Please immunize your whole family, as soon as possible
The enthusiastic response to the arrival of COVID vaccine for children ages 5-11, has been encouraging and exciting, but also overwhelming. Our phones have not stopped ringing since 11/3/21.
COVID-19 vaccines are planned to be given at dedicated shot clinics, similar to our annual Flu shots each Fall. These COVID-19 shot-only clinics will be held several days each week, M-F, with addition of weekend clinics. The dates will be posted as they are scheduled. In addition, if your child is coming for a previously scheduled well visit, we will offer the vaccine.
All of the above is contingent on available supply as determined by the local public health department anticipated in the next 1-2 weeks.
After 11/14/2021, appointments for COVID-19 shot clinics can only be made through MyChart self-scheduling. Until then, please send your request through MyChart, and our staff will make appointments as quickly as we can. Please do not call us.
UCSF, who manages our EPIC electronic medical record, informed us that self scheduling of appointments will be in place by 11/14 – we hope the process will be efficient and ease some of the frustration that we are all experiencing.
The pandemic has been long and required many sacrifices; there have been too many hardships and unnecessary tragedies. Despite this, we are grateful for the patience and resilience that our families have shown and for your consistent willingness to do the right thing in meeting these burdens.
We can get through this together! Thanks for your patience.
Drs. Kelly, Rostek, Fukuda, Goodyear, Lee and staff
We are excited to report that we have started receiving COVID Vaccine for our patients who are between 5 and 11 years old and are looking forward to helping you get this protection for your child.
1) Age-eligible children may receive this vaccine during any office visit, including ones with other vaccines, as long as they are not ill.
2) We will set up “COVID-Shot-Only Clinics”, similar to our “Flu-Shot Clinics”.
3) Our first shipment of vaccine was smaller than requested, so were only able to schedule the initial clinic. It will be held at our Webster Street Office on Tuesday, November 9th.
4) Vaccine shipments are expected weekly; additional clinics will be set up as soon as the vaccine supply stabilizes and will be posted on MyChart.
5) Self-scheduling for our clinics has not yet been activated by the MyChart administrator. Until it is, please send a MyChart request and we will do our best to give you an appointment.
6) As soon as self-scheduling is available, we will notify you through MyChart.
7) To relieve crowding, please bring only one adult, per family, to the appointment.
8) Everyone in the office must wear a mask and pass the standard screening.
9) Patients must wait 15 minutes after their immunization for observation.
10) A second vaccine dose should be taken 21 – 28 days after the first.
11) All administered vaccines will be entered into the State Vaccine Registry.
Please accept our apologies for not being able to make this service available sooner. The vaccine supply chain and DPH have understandably prioritized the bigger institutions first. We are happy that some of our children have already received the vaccine at UCSF or at a local pharmacy and others are making appointments as well.
But we’re up and running now and we hope to be giving hundreds of doses a day very soon.
Drs. Kelly, Rostek, Fukuda, Goodyear, Lee and staff
COVID vaccines for ages 5-11 years old
Thank you for your patience!
We are currently working on setting up our system so we can start scheduling for COVID vaccines, hopefully within the week. We are expecting to get a shipment of the COVID19 vaccine for 5-11 year olds shortly.
We will send a message through MyChart when the ability to schedule these appointments online is available.